Sunday 26 December 2010

INTRODUCING: BRUNO CIECHORSKI

PHOTO: B CIECHORSKI

Here's my favourite piece from the haunting Rio Mare series by Bruno Ciechorski. Over to Bruno...

The camera was a birthday gift from my friend - Martin. He knew that I'm inflicted by pinhole so he decided to end my misery by building a perfect camera. It's a "Vermeer" with my name engraved at the back. Of course I use it with "my way". I put inside 35mm film instead of 120 roll. The reason was quite simple - it had to be panoramic.

I usually use cheap negative films for pinhole. Fomapans, or colour - Kodak plus, Fuji superia. Why? Cheap negatives are more tolerant for over exposure, that's the main reason. Things like grain or "lack of sharpness" just don't matter in this case.

Of course the Vermeer isn't even close to perfect camera... so my misery continues...

About these photographs? Rio Mare is a compromise translation. The Polish name of the set Was "Morze stoi otworkiem" - it is the Polish idiom/saying. A literal transposition would be, "the sea stands pinhole". It's some kind of word game.

Inspirations? Literature. In this case it Was S.Lem's Solaris, and the paintings and sketches of Z. Beksinski.

No comments: